Saturday, April 26, 2008

Today I Met an Unfriendly Aussie

Today I met an unfriendly Aussie; this was a first for me. Quite an unpleasant experience, really. Here's what happened:

I went to Coles for a few items, less than 12, so I went to one of the busy express lanes. In front of me are 3 people: one being helped and two waiting in the queue. The guy waiting closest to me has a shopping cart and items in the seat part of the cart. I push up my own cart behind him, but there's a DVD stand kind of in the way and, since I didn't want to block the flow of traffic to my left, I pulled up behind him in a diagonal fashion.

Moments later a squat, buzz-haired and unhappy lady walked up and stood in a spot such that she made a triangle with myself and the guy in front of me. It seemed as though she thought she was in line behind the guy in front of me. I thought for a moment, wondering what she was doing. It was pretty clear she intended to check out in the lane, but as the line behind me had grown by several people, I thought it my duty - and a favor to her - to point out that the end of the line for this particular register was back that way, pointing towards the end of the line. My exact words were "Excuse me, Ma'am, the end of the queue is over there." I didn't raise my voice. I didn't say it in any sort of demeaning way, but instead an informative, kind way. Just pointing out a fact.

She rounded on me and got very nasty. "I know where the end of the line is. Don't bark at me like that. I'm not stupid. I'm actually very intelligent." All the while I just kind of gaped in awe at the backfire of my intentions which were to inform her in case she wasn't aware. I was at a loss for what to say at first but found my words and said, "oh, okay." Apparently she was aware, and I didn't need to interact anymore with her. Just as I was turning away she snapped, "I'm with that guy behind you, but I felt like waiting here instead."

I was completely disgusted with her behavior. First of all, why not just wait in line with your friend rather than appear that a, you don't know where the end of the line is, or b, you're trying to cut line? Secondly, I thought she had a poor way of expressing her so claimed intelligence in being so rude towards me.

Any way, as the guy in front of me was checking out he turned and said with a smile, "good luck." Not sure why he chose those words, but I appreciated that he was acknowledging how ridiculous she was acting. I overheard her talking to her friend who was waiting in line behind me (as any normal customer does in a line), and she was going on about how I was trying to insult her intelligence and how I was accusing her of line-jumping. The guy she was with kept telling her to hush up and to quit it. I certainly don't blame him for being so embarrassed to be associated with that lady.

I'm not sure why I got so emotional about the episode but as I was checking out I had tears welling in my eyes. I'd been made to look like a bad guy when I had purely good intentions. I am thankful for having been raised in an environment that taught me how to politely handle situations like that, and I sincerely pity that lady.

I'm also very thankful that she was the first (hopefully the only) unfriendly Aussie that I've come by. Everyone else here is really kind, and helpful. Goodness, I remember asking for directions when I first arrived and the local practically followed me to my destination just to make sure I got there okay. I suppose I was going to bump into a person like that lady sooner or later. At least it's over. I hope she has a better day tomorrow.

-Amanda

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Situations like that really suck. I know exactly how you felt. And I would have had tears as well. In a country of millions, you're bound to run into a difficult person somewhere, sometime. Sounds like you handled the situation as well as could be expected. And take in heart that most people are not like that. And for your duration in Australia and even when you're back in the states, relish all encounters with friendly people. Love you, Babe
Mom

Anonymous said...

Well, Sweetheart, you're a better person than I am. I would have informed her, very politely, mind you, that beligerent and intentional rudeness like she was displaying is indeed a hallmark of lower intelligence. You handled it great, and you were obviously the better person. Good girl!

Love you!

Dad