Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stranger Than Fiction

I just finished watching Stranger Than Fiction with the flat mates.

Before I get started, I'd like to point out that this is the first time in ages that I've sat and written about something immediately after the matter. I'm excited because the thoughts are so fresh in my mind, and I'm a dork for being as excited as I am. Regardless of my level of dorkiness (if that is even a word; I wonder because it has the little red squigglies under it (and so does "squigglies")), I'm going to post about this film which I find to be great and excellent.

So here's a photo of the movie's cover (some eye-candy for you folks who tend to skim = ):



A few links if you're interested:

Official Website
IMDB Website
Trailer

And if you're still with me, I'll begin sharing my thoughts:

To start with, I'm going to pause because my chai tea, biscuits and chocolates are ready for me - BRB.

Okay. To start with (goodness, I feel like I'm some kind of quirky author (or am I?)). Oh, for heaven's sake. To start with! I loved the movie. But why? Maybe because I relate to the main character: Mr. Crick, portrayed brilliantly by Will Ferrell, an actor who has been steadily growing on me since Elf. And how do I relate? Well, we both share characteristics of OCD. Hmm. Not really OCD, but you guys know me: I record just about everything with pen and paper, I like numbers, I get caught up in the details, and so does Mr. Crick. I don't go so far as he does with the OCD behavior; at least I don't count the number of strokes when I brush my teeth yet. Any way, he's an IRS agent who hates his life. I don't relate there because, well, I love life, but any way - I liked his character. He's really sweet, caring, and he's just stuck with live-life-block (if you've seen the movie, you'll get that little play on words).

So the film starts off with the following narration:

"This is a story about a man named Harold Crick and his wristwatch. Harold Crick was a man of infinite numbers, endless calculations, and remarkably few words. And his wristwatch said even less. Every weekday, for twelve years, Harold would brush each of his thirty-two teeth seventy-six times. Thirty-eight times back and forth, thirty-eight times up and down. Every weekday, for twelve years, Harold would tie his tie in a single Windsor knot instead of the double, thereby saving up to forty-three seconds. His wristwatch thought the single Windsor made his neck look fat, but said nothing."

After becoming very distraught in hearing a disembodied woman's voice talk about how he brushes his teeth, Mr. Crick realizes he may be the main character in a fictional narrative written by the amazing author, Karen Eiffel: the modern queen of tragedy. Yes, this poses quite a predicament for Mr. Crick. From the moment he hears a voice - one that only he can hear - narrate the words "Little did he know that this simple seemingly innocuous act would result in his imminent death," Mr. Crick becomes very interested in the story and, most importantly, its ending.

When he heard the words "little did he know" Mr. Crick realizes several things, namely that the voice he is hearing is omnipresent meaning that it's not a made-up voice in his head (well, the psychiatrist still recommended prescribed medication, but he wasn't too keen on that idea). Also, after discussion with Dustin Hoffman's character, a literature professor, Mr. Crick learns that he is being written into either a comedy or a tragedy. ...

Darn, this isn't a synopsis, it's my thoughts of the movie. So I'll get on with them: in the beginning of the film everyone watching seemed to be hooked, laughing here and there at the comical parts. I was really engaged, even throughout the duration of the movie, where some folks decided it got too "strange." Naturally, when the movie had ended, people sat and talked about it. I can't say much of what they said for it would give away the ending, which I thought was done very well, but I will say this: when posed with the question of "what is the moral of the movie?" I have a simple and concise answer for you: death is inevitable, but that doesn't matter, so live.

I loved the ending, and, again, I can't say much here, but it was done creatively. I liked the narration; Emma Thompson has quite a lovely voice (by the way, she played Professor Sibyl Trelawney in the Harry Potter movies). I think you'll agree that Karan's outspoken thoughts on why she did-something-that-I-can't-disclose-or-it-would-ruin-the-movie... Okay, this is difficult to explain - but if you see the flick, I'm sure you'll agree with me that her ending thoughts are really meaningful and true on a level deeper than just writing an ending to a book.

I highly recommend the film, especially if you like quirky stories (think Scoop and Elizabeth Town) that break the mold, have a little comedy, have a pinch of romance, has to do with books, or if you just want to see Will Ferrell talk to his tooth brush. I think I'm going to have to own this one... of course I'll have to purchase it in the US since Aussie DVDs might mess up the settings on my laptop's DVD player. Hmm. Any way... yep! That's all I've to say about the film.

-Amanda

[[EDIT: I really liked the use of green apples through the movie.]]

2 comments:

Adam Woods said...

I'm with you baby, I really enjoyed that movie. It definitely beat out my expectations. We shall have to watch it together sometime. Love you and love your posts.

-Adam

Qaro said...

Hi! Nice movie thoughts. I'll have to rent that, thanks!