Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Easter Holiday: The [Final] Plan[s]

This is the first entry of several posts on my Easter Holiday in Australia. The title is very descriptive, isn't it? Final? Plans, plural? What?

Originally, just after Adam and I had scratched the road trip plans to Uluru (too far away and not enough time to make the trip worth while), Inga and I decided we'd go together. A week away from Easter Holiday, and the flights monopolized, we couldn't really afford the trip. So the next plan was to hang around Brisbane and do things locally (i.e., Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, the Lookout, Roma Street Parklands, etc.). Okay, so that will do; save some money, take it easy... Friday night myself, Inga, Neil, Iain and Rudy decide to make a 5 day trip to Tasmania - haha!

You should have seen me - I was freaking out! Thoughts going through my head: where are we going to stay? Hostels will be booked. The whole of Hobart (Tasmania's capital) will be booked as it's Easter weekend. When are we going to buy food? Everything's shut down this weekend! How are we going to get around? How much are flights? What was that noise? Shoot! The wind blew my door shut and I'd left the bolt thrown so now, in this crazy state of mind, I am locked out of my room, and the landlords aren't available until Monday. But no worries, Tom had a hanger-on-a-stick-device designed to snatch room-key-rings through the window. So I climb out on to the shelf around the second floor, and I hook my key with this hanger, haha - Inga has the photos.

So I've regained access to my room, thank God, and now we're all back to figuring things out for this Tasmania trip. We get a good deal on flights (departing Brisbane Saturday) and book them. Next we book a hostel for Saturday night. Okay, so we have our flights and our beds for the first night. Okay, I'm warming up to the idea of going on this trip.

Saturday we spend all afternoon packing. We have to leave the house at 3 to get to the airport in time to catch our plain. No problem. Then Iain informs us that our hostel's booking was actually a glitch in the system because the hostel is actually booked and we have no where to stay. WTF, mate?! Status: non-refundable flights booked, 5 nights of no planned accommodation, me about to pull my hair out of my head, Inga and Rudy still gung-ho about going.

They coax me into going, and on the way to the train station I'm telling myself that everything will work out. We take the train and fly out to Hobart, arriving at 9pm.

And now I'm going to increase the suspense by making you check back again soon for the next Easter Holiday entry to see what happened next! Muahaha!

-Amanda

PS - Another Facebook photo album: River Cruise 19FEB08

1 comment:

jpav said...

Sounds like you are going to have a great time! my advice to you is to just be friendly to people at hostels that are already booked. Usually there are a few beds open even if the place is booked! ask around with random people staying there, they'll usually let you sleep in their rooms for free! Not ideal but atleast a place to sleep :)