Friday, April 25, 2008

Package from Adam!!!

I absolutely LOVED the package Adam sent me! I received it a couple days ago and cried when I watched the DVD he made for me! It was entirely sweet of him to video-tape my friends and family so that not only he but all of my close ones could send their love my way! Oh, it was wonderful. And I loved the slide show! I hadn't even seen a couple of the photos before. Oh, it was a beautiful surprise! Thank you SO much, baby! I love you! And I love everyone who was in the video! Thank you so much for thinking of me while I'm abroad! I miss everyone, and I'm working on a "reply" to all the questions and such in the video.

So John's visit went well. Monday we slept in a little, had a bite to eat, sunbathed at the Parklands and then I saw him to the station where he caught his train to the airport. Thanks for visiting, John! It was a pleasure!

I've gathered that Aussies and Europeans do not favor PB&J. I know. They're weird. I have a PB&J practically every single day for lunch. They don't know what they're missing out on. Or maybe I don't? Apparently Vegemite is really tasty if you like soy sauce? Vegemite sammiches are the Aussie equivalent of PB&J in the sense that kids here grew up on it. John told me about cheese spread that they have here. After he mentioned it I kept an eye out for it at Coles, and, sure enough, there was tons of cheese spreads. I'll have to try it sometime.

As most of you back home surely know, there was an earthquake last night. I saw about the clip below and was surprised. I've not heard about anyone being harmed, so that's good to know.

The U.S. Geologic Survey confirms that it was a 5.4 magnitude on the Richter scale. The center of it was 24 miles southwest of Vincennes, just inside the Illinois line, near West Salem. It was felt in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Missouri. For some people, it lasted 10 seconds. For others, as long as 45 seconds. If it stays at a 5.4 magnitude, this will be the strongest earthquake in Illinois history. The last Illinois earthquake with comparable magnitude was in Olney on June 10, 1987.

A couple countdown numbers:
Less than 80 days until I return to the US. I'm getting sad...
15 days until I get to hold my baby!!! God, I cannot wait to see that handsome man!
I leave for Sydney next Thursday! Exciting! Lots to see there!

Here's some Aussie slang for you:
floater - meat pie served with mushy pea soup
fruit loop - idiot
goodonyermate - good for you, well done!
hoo-roo - goodbye

This week was good. Classes are going well, and I've plans to knock out my Australia research paper by the end of next week, before Sydney. I also realized that I need to start studying for the finals... Later I'll be posting some stuff about my creative writing class. I got some feedback from the tutor, and I want to share.

In other news, I was invited to attend a conference at IU in the fall. It's for students in Indiana who've just returned from Study Abroad/Exchange trips. I'm excited (plus reimbursement from Purdue - yay!).

Today I rolled out of bed and ran 5.4 miles. It was really great. I added a little section to my running loop. After that Inga and I laid out at the Parklands for a couple hours. I tried to nap but it was pretty unsuccessful, then I got up, showered, and here I am.

Tonight a group of 20 of us are going to a rugby game! I'm so excited! I've never really watched it, but am really interested in it. John kind of got me going on it a bit when we were at dinner, and there was a game on. Any way, should be a great time!

Me holding on my hat atop the ferry to Fraser Island:


Inga and I after our fabulous dinner at Wings at West End (Vietnamese goodness) [note how I am the one pulling faces this time, hehe!]:


More photos to come. I just wanted to get a post up since there was much to chat about.

-Amanda

No comments: