Friday, April 18, 2008

3XC1T1N6 W33K3ND !

This week I made excellent progress in my goal of trying out as many coffee houses and ethnic cuisine as possible. I'm very happy to report that I tried Thai and Vietnamese dishes this week, as well as The Coffee Club and Origins chai tea (even though it's just the packets - I've become obsessed with chai tea). The Thai was very different with the coconut milk-based soup, but I did like it. I especially enjoyed the Vietnamese Crispy Beef dish; plus Inga joined me for dinner that night, and we had a great time catching up with one another.

Classes are going well. I had two oral exams in German this week, both of which I feel good about. We just finished one of Mel Gibson's first movies, Gallipoli, in my Australia Culture & Society class - I liked the movie, despite its abrupt ending. My Core Project Management class has had a change of pace lately: my team and I have been cranking out assignments (and doing well on them) but we have a two week break between now and when the next assignment is due. Also, lecture has been canceled for the next 4 weeks (we'll still have work, but it's nice to have the 2 extra hours free on Wednesdays). Which leaves Creative Writing; I love it. I am really enjoying thinking outside the box, learning how to critique peer's poetry, learning about poetry and now short story fiction. I'm working on a poem that's due this week; I'll post it sometime tomorrow. Oh yeah, in my Australia class I learned that palm trees are not native to Australia - they're imported and referred to as weeds. Found that interesting.

Another thing I've noticed about Australia is that men will jog/run in anything. Actually, Scottish people, too (Iain, hehe)! The other day Iain and I ran around Brisbane; he was sporting a collared shirt and khaki cargo shorts! At least he had tennis shoes!

I booked a hotel room for the first weekend Adam visits in May! We'll be staying at the Cavvanbah. = ) EEEE! I can't wait!!! We're both very excited!

Stumbled upon this video the other day. If you ask me it's pretty cool; I really liked the creativity of putting the sound effects to the "hand motions." The guy in the red shirt cracks me up - he's always going crazy with his eyes and tongue, haha!

John Pav arrives in Brisbane tomorrow night! I'm so excited to see his familiar face! We may or may not go out tomorrow night since his flight gets in after 11pm, but tomorrow we're going to Stradbroke Island for the day with Inga, some bar hopping that night, taking it easy or maybe some shopping on Sunday, then to Normanby's for Judith's birthday. A lot of fun stuff is in store!

I've been reading a book called Date with the Devil. It's actually three short stories in one book, all tied together with the common theme of a girl going on some sort of blind "date from hell." I really enjoyed the first story, and I'm really into the second one now - just about to finish it and start on the third. = ) Next book will be either Deer Hunting with Jesus, King Kong or (hopefully) Silence of the Lambs. We'll see how it pans out.

Next weekend the flat has a themed party planned. As per Rasmus' idea (which is kind of stolen from the American frats), each room is going to have its own theme and shot. I've laid claim on an 80s theme (fitting, huh?) and OJ & vodka shots. = ) I'm excited to make a tubular play list!

I've a couple photo albums up from Easter Holiday:
(1) Sun 23MAR - Part 1/2
(2) Sun 23MAR - Part 2/2

As for today, well, it was rough. I learned some things today that were quite upsetting. I'm not sure how to best handle some of the situations, and others I'll have to grit my teeth and bare... But, despite all of the chaos of this afternoon, Adam was there for me. I can't tell you how thankful I am for him! I love you, honey!

So Adam and I have tons of plans for after my return from Australia. Among the many is a camping trip! We're thinking of a weekend later in August, and it will probably be his crew + me. = ) Mmm - a full-fledged eggs-pancakes-sausage-bacon-toast breakfast! Puppy chow and Chex mix! Brats with the fixin's! Hamburgers, mac 'n cheese, chips - yum! Plus, Adam has mentioned the possibility of taking the boat so we could get out on the lake! His family's boat holds 10!

Mom, Dad and Sam just got back from a weekend in Pennsylvania for one of Sam's national wrestling tourneys. Sam's team took 2nd overall, up from previously best of 7th place! Individually Sam did very well with a record of 4-3 against some tough competition. I'm very proud of him! And I got to Skype with him today! It's not often that I catch him online. Any who, during the visit, Rachel and Ethan met up! I'm so bummed that I missed a chance to visit with them, but I'll be sure to correct this when I return to the US! (Side note for Sam: I painted my nails with a polish you bought me! I think of you whenever I see the gold glimmer on my nails!)

I'm losing terribly to two geniuses in my Scrabble game - who's idea was that, any way?! Hehe! Adam and Karan are killing me with their word/puzzle skills! It's quite amazing what these two can do with a few lettered tiles. In chess Adam has taken several of my pawns, but we're almost even aside from that. I'm learning lots about how to play the game. In Battleship, with Daddy, we've sunk each other's 4-length ships, and now we're working on our second ships. I had quite a few mis-hits there for a streak of turns, haha. Win or lose, it's fun all around!

Tomorrow holds a lot in store before John Pav's arrival: laundry, working on my research paper, poem and short fiction work for class, and studying some German. That, and maybe a few errands. I'm out of bread; this is unacceptable. The other day I realized that bread, eggs, cinnamon and butter were necessities for me these days. And chocolate. Can't forget chocolate. = )

-Amanda

1 comment: