Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Love Rugby!

The rugby game last night was really great! First of all, I had some great company! I sat next to Inga and Alice who is from London and knows a bit about Rugby rules. She helped me out when I got lost in the beginning of the game. After the first 15 minutes I understood the game. It's a lot like NFL but still very different. At the rugby game I made several observations and noted some random things:

*Brisbane Broncos colors are burgandy and gold (at first I thought I was at a Quidditch Gryffindor match, I saw so many gold and red scarves!)
*Rabbitohs colors are red and green (horrid unless it's to do with Christmastime, if you ask me), and I thought they looked like little elves running around. It really hurt my eyes to look at their rally socks or their striped jersey shirts.
*yesterday's game took place on ANZAC day, so they had a cool ceremony; I enjoyed the lone trumpeter's bit
*I had chocolate milk and cookies to which Sara said, "Amanda. Chocolate milk and cookies. Now, is that rugby food?" as she held up her plastic cup full of beer, haha. It was funny.
*There was an RC blimp floating around the stadium - random
*the cheerleaders were pathetic: they were all fake tanned, wore hot pink skimpy outfits, half were horrid bleach blonds, all looked like Barbies. They didn't tumble or do anything fun, they just waved around. They were basically models with pom poms. Terrible. The same cheerleaders performed for both teams, and there was a cheerleading mascot of a hot pink wart hog. Yeah, I didn't really get it. I think these cheerleaders cheer for whatever team is playing at the stadium. I dunno.
*The Broncos mascots went over to the Rabbitoh's main section (although Rabbitoh's fans and Bronco's fans were totally mixed through the stadium), and there was no hostility. If a rival team's mascot came to the Purdue section that mascot would be boo'd or shunned and then Purdue Pete or Rowdy would come over and save the day! At rugby games they were all friendly with one another, taking photos with the opposing teams mascot - didn't make sense to me.
*there were fireworks after each Bronco's score - pretty cool
*rugby games have two 40-minute halves

The final score was 32 Broncos to 18 Rabbitohs. Yay for the Brisbane Broncos! Click here for the details on the game at the Broncos website. Photos will be up shortly. I promise.

After the rugby game we walked home and while everyone went to a house party, I crawled in bed, chatted with Adam and called it a night. Everyone stayed out pretty late and made a rucous, but lucky me, I had my ear plugs.

Today I've been having a light breakfast, chatting with Adam, and am about to go lay out and study some German. I plan to read and journal, as well. Later today I'm not sure what I'll be up to. I've no big plans for this weekend except to get busy with my Australia research paper.

Today is National Pretzel Day, so if you can, go eat a pretzel for me since they're hard to come by here. I've not seen any! Oh, I miss Auntie Anne's!

I'm losing in Chess. Well, I've made a come back move that currently has Adam in check, but I'm still hurting. I lost in Scrabble, haha - but it was a lot of fun! Adam won, and Karan took second. We've finally started a second game. I kicked off the first word with "tickle." Dad and I are neck-and-neck in Battleship. Ah, games are so much fun!

I learned the other day about Aussie marriages. Divorce rate for Australia is slightly worse than that of the US. 46% of Aussie marriages end in divorce while ony 45.5% of American marriages end with divorce. Neither are very good statistics, but any way. On the happier side of Aussie marriages, they celebrate mostly the same way we do: rehearsal nights, wedding day and ceremonies, reception, etc. But, what I thought was pretty interesting, some Aussies have their marriages take place while scuba diving! They call them underwater marriages. Crazy! Goes to show how closely tied Aussies are to their beaches and water life. Breeze through this! Here she's in her wedding dress!

Okay, I'll post about the creative writing stuff later. Time to sunbathe!

-Amanda

No comments: